When you’re trying to grow your blog, creating a brand is essential. Social Media is a key tool to reach a wider audience and to help promote your blog. Making your Instagram profile look good & keeping a consistent image on your blog and social media is very important. This blog post gives you a step by step tutorial on how to create your own Instagram highlights!
Welcome back to my blog! As you can probably see from the title, today’s post is going to be slightly different from my usual travel posts:
I do have two more posts lined up for this week about places I’ve visited, but I wanted to write something a little bit different for today!
When it comes to growing your blog, you have to grow your presence on social media. Instagram is one of the most popular mediums, especially among travel bloggers.
Instagram highlights help keep a) your stories more organized, b) make your profile look more appealing and, c) your followers can get information easily about a specific place they want to visit instead of having to go through countless videos and/or pictures.
You can make your highlights look nice by creating your own covers! I opted for my signature gold texture and cursive font. Here’s what mine look like:
UPDATE: I changed the color of my highlights from gold. Check them out here!
You can use both Photoshop & Canva. I used Photoshop for my highlights (it’s SUPER easy). But if Photoshop is not for you, don’t fret. I’m going to show you how you can do it on Instagram.
Alright, let’s begin!
Creating your highlight covers on Photoshop:
- Open Photoshop & go to File > New. A window pops up and enter the following dimensions:
TIP: Save the preset so you won’t have to enter the dimensions every time. To do that, simply name the preset and click on Save Preset and you’re good to go!
2. Once you’re done with that, a template pops up. Now it’s time to get creative! What I do is I click on File > Open and select the gold foil texture and simply drag it on the document. If you want the link for the textures I use, click here.
3. Now it’s time to add your text! I use a font called Playlist. If you’re a travel blogger, type in the name of the country you visited. If you’re not a travel blogger, simply type in the name of the category that you want to name your highlight.
I make sure that the font stretches to both sides of the template. I do that by simply increasing the size of the text. Furthermore, I add an outline to my text to make it stand out more. Simply right-click on the text layer, click on blending options and play around with the setting until you get the desired look!
4. Once you’re done, go to Layer > Flatten Image and save your image.
TIP: Save your template as .psd before you save it as an image. That way, whenever you want to add a new highlight, you won’t have to go through the whole process of adding the texture etc. All you have to do is change the text.
5. If you have a Mac & iPhone like I do, you can send the image to your phone from your Mac via AirDrop. If you don’t have that, simply send it to your own email and then save it on your phone!
6. Go on Instagram and upload the image you just created to your stories!
7. Go on your Instagram and click on the Archive button on the left corner.
8. Click on the three small dots on the right side and select Create Highlight and then select the stories you want to go in your highlight.
9. Once you’re done selecting your stories, click on Next and this page comes up.
I usually put that country’s flag as the highlight’s name. You can type of the name or use an emoji that reminds you of that place. It’s up to you! To change the cover, simply click on Edit Cover and select the image you. After that, click on Add and it shows up on your Instagram page!
TIP: When I organized my highlights, I did them all at once and had to upload the covers one after the other. Not to annoy my followers, I simply put my stories as private.
TIP TIP: When I’m out travelling to a new place, I create the highlight cover from home before we go and save it on my phone so I can create the highlight while I’m out there exploring. If you’re using Canva, simply download the app and you can do it easily from there.
Creating your highlights using Canva:
- Go on canva.com
- Click Create A Design on the left-hand corner & then click on Custom dimensions on the right-hand corner of the page.
- Enter 600x900px as your dimensions and click on Create A New Design.
- Then simply design your image! You can upload your own textures from your computer or use their stock resources – depends on what vibe you’re going for.
- You can add elements instead of text! Simply click on Elements. You can add a plane for example! Or an element that reminds you of the place you visited. Or else, just add text like the above tutorial. Make sure you place them in the middle!
- Once you’re satisfied with your design, simply download your image and repeat Steps 6-9 as mentioned above.
& that’s pretty much it!
It’s up to you what platform you want to use to create your highlights. As you can see, both are relatively simple to use. Some people use just a colour and not add text, some just text and some just go over the top. It’s completely up to you! Make sure that it goes with your brand. That will help you immensely 🙂
Thank you so much for reading today’s post! If you found it helpful, feel free to share it with your friends and family and pin it to your Pinterest boards! Also, follow me on my social media (linked all over my page) and subscribe to my Newsletter to keep yourself updated!
Until the next one,